tattoos

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

The Tim Burton Exhibition

Sunday I spent the day in Melbourne seeing the two things I wanted to the most before flying home. The Tim Burton exhibition at ACMI and the Inscrutable Mystery Guide exhibition by Shag at the Outre Gallery. I'll post about Shag later.

Tim Burton has always been a massive inspiration to me. He is not only one of my favourite directors but he is also my favourite creative personalities. I adore his exaggerated forms, his twisted sense of humour and the the sense of darkness that he puts into his childlike creatures. If I had to have a dinner with five people alive or dead I'm pretty sure he would be one of them.
The lines were massive when I got in there which made it difficult to move. It also made me anxious because I wanted to run around and see everything. The first work I saw was a huge prop from Edward Scissor Hands. It was a tree sculpture in the shape of a dear that Edward had pruned. The exhibition started off with his very early art and letters through to his main stream success... ie the Alice in Wonderland and Batman costumes. Although the movie props/costumes were great it was his sketches/sculptures that really interested me.
Unfortunately there was no cameras allowed in the exhibition. But I was sneaky when I was in a dark room with one of his carousels. Phones aren't meant for photography in the dark. Dave was disappointed because he wanted to go but couldn't. I think i'd fly down again for another look before it closes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

blogger templates | Blogger