tattoos

Friday, August 6, 2010

Talk Derby To Me vol.2

The darling Daisy Boo Canon is the sweetest little hard arse on skates! She stole my heart when she was skating for Newcastle Roller Derby. Now she's rolling for Sydney on The Screaming Assault Sirens! She's a librarian turned derby queen! What a perfect combination of two things I love.

How did you find out about derby and what was it that attracted you to the sport?
My derby wife Ruby doomsday, (who at the time was my friend Bec) told me about derby. We met working in libraries in 2001. In 2008 Ruby saw the first airing of Roller derby dolls on ABC and told me excitedly about it! I filed it as awesome because of the skating, the personas and the DIY attitude. In late 2008 I saw a link on a friends facebook page that there was a group that was called "Lets Start Derby In Newcastle" I told ruby and registered my interest. I actually missed out on first month due to breaking my arm in a drinking accident. One month after they started I rocked up with no gear and borrowed skates to the netball courts in Newie and became part of NRDL. I liked derby because I loved skating around outside my house when i was a kid, and I liked the mix of women it attracted and i really liked the idea of contact.

What do you think the biggest misconception out there about derby and the girls that do it?
The biggest misconception about derby is that it's just a passing phase and isn't really that popular. People are shocked when I tell them I have played at two sold out bouts at the Horden in front of 2500 people each time! People also underestimate the athleticism and commitment required. I train for 8 hours a week formally and at least 2 informally and i am not a sporty type! The biggest misconception about the girls that play it is that we are all tough and rough and mean. I am a library girl with no tattoos or piercings and completely white bread and middle class. NICE GIRLS PLAY DERBY!

Is there a derby girl who inspires you the most?
At the moment (there have been many along the way) is THE MIGHTY TOOSH of Sydney Roller Derby League. She worked through SRDL fresh meat training last year. After missing assessments at the end she worked her but off to improve her agility and fitness and skate confidence and successfully passed her white star the same day I tried out for SRDL when I transferred from Newie in Feb 2010. Since then Tish has gotten better and better, she works SO HARD at trainings, listens to advice, ABSORBS everything, studied hard for her rules test so she is like a rule encyclopedia now. This weekend she is making her debut at the Horden and i am so so proud of her achievement. she is tough agile and derby clever in the pack. SO GLAD SHE IS ON MY TEAM!

Being the nerd that I am I adore you derby name. How did you decide on it?
Well, being a library lady i really wanted a literary derby name. At the time i joined derby I had 3ft long hair and was petite and wore dresses and pretty shoes. I bought white skates. So in the beginning i felt different due to my 'nice girl" looks. I thought i would pursue that with a name. however i wanted the name to be a 'sound alike' name with a rough edge to it. FINALLY I LOVE THE TWENTIES AND THIRTIES! love the opulence and tragedy of the great Gatsby, love the idea of being a femme fatal so Daisy--Buchanan of the great Gatsby set in 1922 became Daisy-Boo Cannon #1922 ROLLER DERBY GIRL :) I love it when people recognise it without explaining, and now Daisy is as much my identity as Alison.

I think a lot of people don’t realise the amount of training that goes into derby. What is your usual training schedule like?
Okay on Sunday I train 1 till 3, Tuesdays and Thursdays I train 6 till 8, Fridays I train 7 till 9 and on Wednesdays I try to street skate with some other people. I skate to the start point of the street skate from my home so I guess that is another hour and a half. Also our team The Screaming Assault Sirens try to train separately before league training which is about 2 hours a fortnight (if that). On top of that i attempt to do fitness like jogging and strength but that is very much a daisy will try rather than a daisy definitely does.

Lastly do you have any advice for anyone who is starting derby?
At first you may not realise how much you will surrender yourself to derby. Be prepared for it taking over your time budget wardrobe and relationships. Explain carefully to your partner and family and non derby friends how much this new sport means to you, never apologise for finding the sport you love, however try to find a life derby balance.
Ask for help with your skating from the veterans THEY ARE NOT SCARY THEY ARE NICE! Lastly the key to derby success is time on your skates and time watching games. STREET SKATE AS MUCH AS YOU CAN ! xoxo Daisy



Photos by Ange Malone, Sweet Acid Photography and CasPix

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

blogger templates | Blogger